Join now - be part of our community!

Chattering noise from lens. Sony ILC a99m2 paired with Sony SAL70400G2.

profile.country.GB.title
Kodak21
Explorer

Chattering noise from lens. Sony ILC a99m2 paired with Sony SAL70400G2.

Sony ILC a99m2 paired with Sony SAL70400G2.

If you half depress the shutter button when on continuous single/expanded point autofocus, I get a chattering sound from the lens on static objects, it's like the camera/lens will not hold the focus point and is continuously trying to focus this happens both hand held or on a tripod whilst keeping the shutter button half depressed. I can see the focus point in the view finder flickering on and off for focus.

Both the camera body and lens have been back to Sony on a number of occasions together, but this problem still exists. Has anybody else had this experience, and how was it resolved?

With my ILC a99 paired with the SAL70400G2, I have no problems at all, focus achieved and no chattering from the lens.

Thanks  in advance for anyone answering my query.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi there, I found this on the compatibility section: "When you record movies with autofocus, the operating noise of the lens may be recorded." But you said this happens with Manual focus right? I'm sure this has been suggested before, but did you try taking out the batteries for two minutes?

profile.country.GB.title
Kodak21
Explorer

Hi, thank you for your response, this chattering noise is from the lens when taking images, I don't record movies.

Im a Bird and Wildlife photographer. A typical example may be lets say a Grey Heron on its nest, the camera set to shutter priority, continuous auto focus, single focus point, camera steadied on tripod , shutter button half depressed to focus whilst waiting for the Heron to either move for a shot I want, or for it to take off so, in a situation like this I may have my finger on the shutter button for up to 30 seconds or more in anticipation of getting a shot,

I understand that if the subject was continually moving the lens will keep readjusting but what Im experiencing is if the subject is still the lens makes a chattering noise, even when focus is achieved the lens keeps chattering or a rattling noise to describe it another way, On my a99 when focus is achieved with same settings the lens doesn't make this noise unless it has to readjust.

With regard to taking out the batteries, this has no effect , when the camera has been returned from Sony who may have had it for a couple of weeks, as soon as batteries are inserted and the camera is turned on with this lens and you try and focus on anything the lens starts making a noise.

Thank you again for trying to help, if you have any other thoughts, I would be interested.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Kodak21, I would say send it again to the service centre since, you know, they didn't resolve the issue!

profile.country.GB.title
Kodak21
Explorer

Hi Hannah,

Im am getting really frustrated with Sony UK Technology Centre, I Sent a long email about the above on Monday evening and i've had no response, Made a call today, and after speaking to someone briefly in customer services, I have still not had a reply to my email.

The camera body has been back five times and the lens has been back three paired with the camera body and still they keep missing the lens chatter problem all in all the camera body has been with them for I think four months  and the lens for three going back and fourth and this year. As your suggesting I want both camera and lens sent back. I have asked to speak with someone other than in customer services but to date haven't been able to. I will see what happens when I get a response from Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Kodak21, maybe Sony support would help to raise a complaint, but out of curiosity, what do the engineers say??

profile.country.GB.title
Kodak21
Explorer

Hi Hannah,

I at last had an email from customer services to saying that they would speak with the Engineering Manager. I responded asking if he would talk with me about the ongoing issues, so at present I am waiting for that response which obviously won't be until next week why the managers or engineers won't speak with customers directly is beyond me!!

I had to ask for the lens to be checked at my cost (it was well out of guarantee) to see if the chattering was being caused by either the lens or the camera ( which is still under guarantee), an engineer checked my lens on a test camera same model and it chattered he then did various other test which it failed and I was sent an estimate for £925.00 to fix it. Based on information that I had to ask for to find out what was wrong, I then went ahead with the repair on the assumption that this chattering would have been fixed! Even after spending that large amount the lens is no better than what it was prior to the repair, I can see no improvement in how the lens functions on my now old a99 a77 or a77ii  As I said the camera and lens keep going back and forth they alter this or adjust that and I feel like its one step forward and two back.  I will see what happens next week

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Kodak21,

I wish you all  of the luck, do let us know how it went please.

Regards.