Join now - be part of our community!

A7iv with LA-EA5 iin S&Q mode allows manual focus only?

profile.country.GB.title
seppoju

A7iv with LA-EA5 iin S&Q mode allows manual focus only?

Not sure if this is a user error... I use LA-EA5 and it is nearly perfect. AF works really well in photo and movie mode. But, in S&Q there is only MF available. When I try and change it in Fn menu I get "this function is currently disabled". Is this related to LA-EA5 behaviour or is there a workaround?
Tags (2)
18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_GB.title
EUSupport_EN
Contributor

Hey there, restriction of the functions are different depend on the lens variation. Which lens are you using? 

profile.country.GB.title
seppoju

I've tried with all my A-mount lenses, including Minolta 100-300APO, Sigma's 70 2.8 macro and 35 1.4

Can you tell me which A-mount lenses will autofocus in video and S&Q modes, please?

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey seppoju, these are all the compatible lenses, when you click on an A lens, it shows you the needed convertors and the restrictions: 

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/lens_body/?mdl=ILCE-7M4&area=gwt&lang=en_GB 

profile.country.GB.title
seppoju

I've tried with Minolta 28 2.8 AF, 50 1.7 AF, 70-210 4 AF and 100- 300 APO and none of those give any AF in video or S&Q mode although the Sony support page says: "

• Although you can perform auto focusing, it is sometimes difficult to focus on a subject using this function when you are shooting dark scenes or when a subject is located at the corners of the screen or is significantly out of focus."
  • All the above lenses give message : This function is currently disabled. 

So, something is not correct here. Please advice!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@seppoju, if you're using a non Sony lens, non of the features are guaranteed anyways. They might work and might now work. have you tested any Sony lenses? 

profile.country.GB.title
seppoju

On that Sony support page are those specific Minolta lenses mentioned (most of A lenses are Minolta methinks), so that does not explain the issue. One possibility is that Sony support page refers to AF in photo mode - the LA-EA5/Sony A7iv combo works perfectly in that mode. If that is the case it should be mentioned somewhere....

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@seppoju, at this point I don't think I can add any further help to this thread. But I will try to explain my point in a different way. 

If you click on the AF 28-70/2.8 G lens on the above link, one of the restrictions written there is : "If you attach the [A-mount lens] using the Mount Adaptor, MF assist function does not work automatically when you turn the focus ring. You can enlarge the image by selecting [Focus Magnifier] function or [MF Assist] function to any key in the "Custom Key Settings"."

Does this make any sense? Is this what you're looking for? 

profile.country.GB.title
seppoju

Thank you so much for trying to help me, Hannah!
The operative words are "video and S&Q". All works well in photo mode, the AF is surprisingly quick and accurate.

But, the AF does not work in video and S&Q modes. It may well be that the adapter is not capable doing that, but I would appreciate it if someone ( e.g. Sony) would confirm this.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@seppoju, we've two ways to go about this now, either we try the standard troubleshooting steps and if the issue remains you contact Sony. 

Or I  can contact them for you to ask a general question. 

BTW, this is a user based community. If you wan an official answer from Sony I recommend to contact them: https://bit.ly/3lns004