Join now - be part of our community!

A7 IV sensor curtain slow closing

profile.country.GB.title
draganmikki
New

A7 IV sensor curtain slow closing

Each time I change the lens I like to turn camera off so that protective curtain close and prevent dust from coming into contact with the sensor!

However, it takes around 5 seconds for the sensor curtains to close.

Why would it take so long? Shouldn't curtain come up as soon as the power is turned off?

I wonder if this is unique to my camera, or to this model of the camera?

Any experience or views would be welcome.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hey @draganmikki 

Is that happening since the purchase of the camera, or when did it start to happen exactly?

profile.country.GB.title
draganmikki
New

Hi

Thank you for reply!

I didn't notice anything wrong when the camera was new I didn't need to, but soon after I thought the time the curtain was takin before closing was impacting my work and I started to time it. It went to 3 seconds than 4, 5 and when it came to 7 seconds I began to think that it should not be normal.

When recently, six months out of warranty, new problem developed, I accepted the suggestion to have the full service as well, primarily with this issue in mind. At the moment, when first started, camera takes 2.5-3 seconds to close the shutter curtain. However after half an hour, it takes 5-7 seconds.

In my mind, this is mechanical issue and it should not be variable. Another problem is that no one seems to have clear idea on how long this time gap should be, and yet we are talking about a professional camera.

When camera arrived from repair/service there was no indication of what was done as a part of the service, so I asked and they sent me an email not clarifying anything at all. The only information was that 'all functions are correct'. Another surprising thing to me is that the warranty on the service and parts lasts only 90 days! That is why I am trying to find out how long the curtain should take before closing.

When I posted the question on the Forum, I hoped that one of many users of the same, or similar, model might just take few seconds and time their camera's timing, but no luck there too.

I would be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

Dragan Mikki

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Just checked on my A7iv. Is needed about 4 sec.

Seems that the exact timing depend by what the camera have to do, the curtain is closed as final thing.

If the lens has to retract the time is longer than if not. If you are using menu and the lens is just "parked", the time is really short.

So: your camera is fine.

Could be improvement the function? Sure: a software update that doesn't make the closure as last thing.

Actually I doesn't use the function. I think that is not so useful.

Yes, the direct contact of dust to the sensor is forbidden. But the same dust will stay on curtai or other part inside the bayonet, so it will go on the sensor surface only lather, but it will.

On the other side the curtain (the most sensitive mechanical part of the camera) is exposed.

No, I doesn't suggest to use the function.

profile.country.GB.title
draganmikki
New

This an interesting theory.

The only problem is that the time the shutter curtain closing time is getting longer as the camera gets older. If camera needs to finish some outstanding operation, why would that time be longer than it was when camera was new.

I would like to know if anyone from Sony has some explanation as well.

With thanks.