Join now - be part of our community!

a350 upgrade.

ricearl33
Explorer

a350 upgrade.

Hi all you clever guys, I have an a350 with several lens and dedicated flash,grip etc. I am thinking of upgrading to a a7711 or a99 or similar. Will all my existing eqmnt work with those two or can anyone suggesst the best upgrade to me bearing in mind my previous comments. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ricearl33,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..

It would depend on what lenses you have &/or which camera you choose as your upgrade, you may find this compatibility guide of use..

The a77ii has an aps-c sensor where as the a99 has a full frame sensor..

I wouldn't expect the battery grip would be compatible with either of the models you are looking to upgrade to..

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Yeah, as Thal says it really depends on what equipment you have.

For example if its any help) I have an A300 and I purchased a Tamron A17S 70-300mm lens

which fits fine with that camera. I was surprised to see that it fits an A77II as well!

ricearl33
Explorer

hI Thalamus, Thanks for your reply,I am in and outof hospital this year so my responses may be wide apart.Tha alpha lens I have are: SAL75300 75/300, SAL28F28 f2.8/28, SAL24105 3.5.4.5/24-105, 3.5-5.6/18-70, Vivitar series1 super wide angle.and the flash is HVL F58AM.

Thanks for your help

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ricearl33,

sorry to read you are in & out of hospital..

The good news is that as the SAL75300, SAL28F28 & SAL24105 are full frame lenses they would be compatible with either the a77II or the a99..

The bad news as such is that, although compatible, some of the cameras advanced features may not work with these lenses, which is normal for most manufactures..

I am am not sure about the Vivatar lens though..

If you want to view & compare the different compatibility notes then open this link to the Compatibility checker..

Once the link opens Select Lens followed by A Mount..

Then just select you lens model, for example SAL75300 from the drop down list then click on either the a77II or a99 & you should see a box appear similar to the ones below..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Your HVL-F58 Flash is compatible with the a99 but would need a hot shoe adaptor (ADP-MAA) to work with the a77II..

Hope that helps..

profile.country.GB.title
3n9mwdf
Explorer

The grip won't fit, but any lenses should be fine. If you use APS-C lenses on a full frame camera like the a99, it will crop automatically, but they will fit fine - you should have no limitations at all with the a77.

The flash shoe has changed since your a350, but adapters are available (I got one with my a99, there might be one in with the a77ii, but if not they are not terribly expensive).

Gavin_P
New

Hello

I've just recently read your post and having owned an a350 years ago, I can sort of compare it at least to what I'm using now (a57, just taken delivery of an a68 but not really experienced with it yet) and I can say that really any choice of a77-II, a99, a68 is quite a capable upgrade from your a350.

The deciding factor will most likely be budget, or, in the case of the a99, bulk/weight?  I myself have never used an a77 or its successor, the Mk2 version.  Just too expensive for me and so I opted for the a68 (body only).

I personally cannot imagine that the grip you have for your a350 will work for any of the camera range which is still available now.  I would indeed be quite surprised if there were any grips which worked on more than one model (built for a specific camera), but of course I could be wrong about that as I've never used a VG myself.

Deciding to upgrade is the easy part, choosing which camera body, now that's hard!  :wink:

Whichever camera you choose though, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Best regards

Gavin 

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gavin_P,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..

Thank you for your reply I'm sure ricearl33 will find your comments useful..

Seems we are in agreement about the battery grip I stated above I wouldn't expect the battery grip would be compatible with either of the models that the ricearl33 is planning to upgrade to..