Join now - be part of our community!

UWA-BR100 faulty, unable to buy replacement from Sony

UWA-BR100 faulty, unable to buy replacement from Sony

So I have a Sony Smart TV (KDL-40EX524) which needs an external wifi dongle to use the Smart functions.  My wifi dongle (UWA-BR100) is no longer working, after numerour 'unhelpful' calls with different sony departments I find that they no longer make this dongle, there parts partner EuroParts also cannot source it and there seems to be no alternative part.

So is Sony saying that I can now no longer make use of my Smart TV finctionality which I paid for, as they no longer support a wifi product???

Is this is true it is disgraceful - I have only had the TV 3yrs!!!!

Any advice out there please?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi cavegirl3,
Welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..
Searching the net there are still some available from online retailers but an alternative & possibly cheaper solution could be to use a set of home plugs..

Hi thanks what are home plugs? My tv is not in same room as my router.

They are on Amazon but at £150! May aswell look to buy a new tv so I do not
face this issue again, I just think it's very very poor consumer care from
Sony
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Where did you find that price? You may have it for 25£...http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O

Not sure why this is marked as solved??

Thanks rooobb but their isnt an issue with my broadband signal, its the fact the TV needs a dongle in it to recieve said signal in order to use smart TV functions it does not have a wifi adaptor built in
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

As a worst case scenario have you thought about using

Chromecast or an alternative such as Roku streaming stick?

Chromecast Details

Roku Details

(There are other alternatives to these two examples.)

Not ideal but still a way to get your TV online :slight_smile:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi cavegirl13,

don't know why you talk about broadband.. those device just bring you the network signal over the electrical wire of your home from the electrical plug nearest to the router to the nearest electrical plug to your TV: than you just connect your TV to the device via a standard CAT5 LAN cable (your TV should have an ethernet port if I'm not wrong), no wifi needed at all. It's like having a long  LAN cable stright from your router to the TV....