Join now - be part of our community!

"HDD Registration Failed" on KDL-22EX320

profile.country.en_IE.title
binhex12
Visitor

"HDD Registration Failed" on KDL-22EX320

Got a KDL-22EX320 tv recently - plaesed with with but having an issue with connecting external drive via USB so that I can record to it.

I have tried with two different external drives - a 2TB Western Digital and a 250gb La Cie - the tv recognises the drive being attached but, when I try and Register it, the tv formats it for a few minutes then gives the message "HDD Registration Failed".

I checked that the tv is running the latest firmware and it appears to be.

Any suggestions? Does the drive need to be pre-formatted in any particular way?

Regards and thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

binhex12,

Hi,

very surprised that both drives are not being recognised by your tv, double check that the latest firmware for your tv is present and check drives are formatted in FAT32.

There is no reason that it should not recognise the drives after that.

binhex12
Visitor

Is it essential that the drive be formatted as FAT32 to be recognised? I have checked that the firmware is up to date now I guess I shall have to format the drives to see if FAT32 works. I suspected that might be the issue - hope it does work - I';; try when I'm home later.

Bravia55HX

binhex12,

Hi again,

you can check your drive by plugging it to your laptop or pc by going into properties and checking the file system in there, if it says its FAT32 then its fine.

binhex12
Visitor

So connnected the 250 gb drive - I checked it's listed on my laptop - MS-DOS File System (Fat 32).

Get message that a USB device has been connected. Go to HDD Registration an get the message "The HDD conencted with USB port for recording was not able to be recognized. Please confirm the connection".

So far, so annoying so I tried to format it differently - in Mac OS or Unix and when I do this happens:

I plug in the drive I get message "USB canot be for recording until it has been registered with the TV etc"

Then I go to HDD Registration > HDD will be initialised etc Continue Yes > All Data will be deleted Continue Yes > New Registation HDD label name: HDD1. Would you like to change the label for this HDD? No>

Itialilising for 30/40m secs then HDD Registration Failed OK.

Back to square one.

Software version is PKG3.407EUA-0104, which is the latest akaik.

Bravia55HX

binhex12,

without being at risk of me sounding a total div, dare i ask if the hard drive you are using is a powered unit?,

my reason for asking is that Sony recommend the western digital my book essentials which is a powered unit, having said that theres no reason to think other powered units wont work either.

other than that i dont have anything else to offer.

binhex12
Visitor

No div risk - both are powered units - my 2Tb drive is a Western Digital My Book drive.

I'm baffled at this stage and more than a little annoyed but grateful for your help.

Bravia55HX

binhex12,

well thats very annoying as that should work, usually updated firmware is the way to go and this should work, some Sony peeps on here recommend a factory re set as its believed to clear any glitches you may have then do a fresh update!

i have never been 100% convinced of this but may be worth a try, i should also add that this is a community forum and there are guys from Sony here also that do help, however if you feel it prudent you could try contacting Sony support under the support tab at the top of the page.

if you are able to get the solution please feel free to post here what it was so others may share.

good luck

peterjanderson
Visitor

I am having the identical problen with a Bravia KDL-32CX523 purchased a week ago.

I plug the HDD into the USB (labelled for HDD), I get a warning that it needs regsistering. When I regsiter it I get the message 'The HDD connected with USB port for recording was not able to be recognised. Please check the connection'

I have updated the firmware at least twice.

I have formatted the drive FAT32 and NTFS.

My HDD is a Samsung S2 Portable 500GB.

Have you found a solution to the problem?

Sony support have not been able to help so far. They have 'escalated' the problem, and cannot tell me when I might hear from them.

johnaah
Visitor

hi, i think the problem is even bigger. i have a bravia kdl40cx523 and bought

a toshibia 500gm portable usb hdd yesterday and it wont recognise mine either.

i have contact customer support and will ley you know when they come back to me.